Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Head in the books

On a recent work trip interstate I grabbed myself a copy of the latest runners world. I love to read these kind of things on the plane (& yes, lets be honest, it beats the airline mags hands down) and it bit me. You know... the kind of sneak up behind you when you're not looking and bite you so you get "the bug"... well I have the bug. The running bug that is.

Its funny, right through winter I forget how much I enjoy getting outside and running. I see new things, I keep in touch with my local area, I end up that nice golden brown colour (YES I do appreciate this is bad, but trust me... I do wear sunscreen religiously and it STILL happens.) and I find that the scales tell me nice things when I jump on them.

I can't tell you why, but running - only running sheds the kilos for me. I can spend hours on a bike, or swimming laps in a pool, or in the gym and I will get fit, strong and all those good things, but running just is the only thing that makes me drop any extra kilo's. Which is great - because it does mean that I can do those other things BETTER. My swimming improves, my cycling is stronger, my basketball is better and I actually get muscles, little girly muscles. :-)

Running & gym are the only things which really give me muscle soreness. I HAVE to say a massive thanks to Barry & the team at Linebreak for their compression gear when this comes round. To be brutally honest, without this my recovery takes so much longer. Shameless plug... maybe - but it is the truth at the same time. So for all my fast approaching old age (no it doesn't scare me, no I don't worry about it) I have to say, being able to do the things I enjoy is far more important!

Live people. Get out and live!

No comments:

Post a Comment